RX 350 Thefts-Hidden Disconnect Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 05:28 AM
Default RX 350 Thefts-Hidden Disconnect Switch

The RX has had a high rate of thefts in Canada. Does anyone know if it is possible to add a simple disconnect switch for the fuel pump or another component that would make the vehicle difficult to steal?

Old 04-27-2023, 08:28 PM

Hey, did you ever figure out a good solution for disabling your RX? Thanks

Old 05-01-2023, 03:30 PM

I was considering a switch connection to fuel pump fuse circuit. There is an inexpensive fuse attachment that may fit into existing fuse block that a switch could be wired to.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:30 PM
Default Disabling Starting Circuits (preventing theft exc by towing)

Yeah, I did something similar when my son and I were building a Manx dune buggy a few years ago. Dune buggies are especially vulnerable to being hotwired, considering that the ignition wiring can be found and traced within minutes... We wound up with a modified-race buggy after building... well anyway, I installed manual 5/16 brass cutoff under the rear seat that I can reach from the driver's seat. It starves the electric fuel pump, which fed two 2 barrel carbs. I usually flipped it and let the engine die. A fuse driven fuel pump cutoff would be great. You'd not have to worry about blowing thru electric pumps (running them dry) since they'd just not be running at all.

Another idea would be a relay-enabled ignition system. I've been paranoid about my buggy walking off, and I came up with a system that takes two buttons being pressed in order for the switch key to function. They're close (horn and hidden button underneath the dash) and when both are pressed together, I can roll the starter and get her going. As long as the two buttons remain engaged and the fuel pump isn't disengaged. And the big red battery cut off key is in place under the passenger seat. I'm paranoid, but I still have my buggy. Good luck with yours, I was just wondering if you'd acted on your plan. Thanks