Heater-A/C blower/fan motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Default Heater-A/C blower/fan motor replacement

We have a 2004 RX330, about 62,000 miles. Lately the fan motor has started to get a bit noisy. Not a squeal, more of a "click" as if the squirrel cage were starting to contact its housing. Since I have the problem on other Japanese models, at about the same age/mileage I figure maybe the bearing/bushing is starting to go.

How difficult is replacing the motor/fan assembly on a DIY basis? On my Maximas it was just a matter of dropping the glove compartment down and 3 or 4 screws.

My wife doesn't drive nearly as much as when we first got this unit and I'd like for her to keep it 4 more years at least. I'd hate to have that plan go awry because of something like this, but I don't want to have to drop $400 or more at the dealer either. A quick look at prices online shows the part to be about $200!

Thanks in advance

bamboopearl

Old 12-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Default Heater A/C blower/fan motor replacement

Do you need the aux fan or just the resistor? My part out car has a good blower and the resistor up front is good but my aux fan blade was broke in the accident that took the car out. Thanks.Bob

Old 12-24-2009, 11:25 AM

Thanks pyroisp;

The noise sounds like it's coming from the blade making slight contact. On all my other cars this was an indication that the bushing/bearing on the motor is worn and it wobbles a bit as it spins. It quites down once it warms up.

I think when the resistor goes out the indication is that the fan speed no longer is adjustable.

Actually I did find the motor/blade assembly for about $70-$80 the other day.

My issue now is that I don't know how to access the assembly to remove it. It's been nasty weather here the last two weeks and I don't feel like laying upside down in a cold car experimenting with how to access it. And then having to do the same thing once the part arrives.

Thanks

bamboopearl

Old 12-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Default Heater A/C blower/fan motor replacement

Hi Guys,My 260Z came with the dealer A/C setup which I want to get rid of in favour of the simple fan.My understanding is the aftermarket unit replaced the orginial fan unit, correct me if I am wrong as I am ashamed to admit that is had been so long since my car has been together I forget where it all goes.Anyways, I either want to buy a working blower motor or swap for my AC parts.