Help in decision buying a 04 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Default Help in decision buying a 04 LS430

Hello all, this is my first post to this form![/align][/align]I have a question:[/align]
I have a 98 GS400 with 133,xxx miles on it. I am looking to buy a 04-05 LS to replace this car. I want a Black on Black LS with Modern Lux or Custum Lux package (need NAV, Mark Lev., vented seats). I looked at getting a Ulta Lux but am scared by the air suspension - I like the cooler in the back as I am a Realtor and this would be nice for my clients!

So here is my question (also if you have input on the Ultra Lux feel free to give it). I am seeing 04 LS with about 32,000-38,000 miles for sale at around $32,000-$34,000. Then I see the same cars with 55,000-70,000 miles for sale at around $27,000-28,000. So what would be your recommendation spend $6,000 more for a car with fewer miles and some factory warranty or save the money and get the car with more miles?

The main issue that I have seen on this board is the Ulta Lux air suspension/struts. Any other big ticket items? My 98 GS400 has two bad door actuators that are about $600 per lock to have repaired!!!

Thanks to all!

PS - I bought my GS400 with about 80,000 miles and the only thing that I have had to do to it is timing belt and water pump (which I waited until about 120,000 miles to do). That is until now with the door actuators.

Mike[/align]

Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Default RE: Help in decision buying a 04 LS430

I would check with your local dealer and purchase a Certified Pre-owned Ls. It Basically buys you piece of mind knowing that the vehicle that you are driving has a certified history. All vehicles that are "traded in" or are lease returns do not qualify for CPO status. The car pretty much has to be cherry.You have access to all previous service records and a warranty up to 100,000 miles or 3 years from your purchase date.

Here's a cut & paste from the Lexus Website.

I would also check a website like "Dealerrater.com" to check the history of the dealership you plan to do business with.

Comprehensive Inspection
(Specific Areas Covered: road test, under the hood, under the vehicle, exterior, interior, luggage compartment and safety/security)[/align]

Yes[/align]

Age/Mileage Eligibility
The age/mileage baseline for entry into the Certified Pre-Owned program[/align]

5 model years or newer / less than 60K miles[/align]

CPO Warranty[/align]

3 years from date of pre-owned sale or 100K total vehicle miles[/align]

Type of Warranty
Length of Warranty[/align]

Comprehensive. No deductible[/align]

Special Financing[/align]

Yes / New-car-like rates[1][/align]

Lease Availability[/align]

Yes[/align]

1st Free Maintenance
Free oil/filter change / additional services vary per brand[/align]

Yes[/align]

Roadside Assistance[2]
Available when your vehicle breaks down or when there is a vehicle emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year[/align]

Yes / For 3 years or 100K total vehicle miles[/align]

Trip Interruption
Travel coverage. Manufacturer programs vary widely[/align]

Yes[/align]

Loaner Car
A complimentary loaner car is available for all warrantable repairs[/align]

Yes[/align]

Return Policy
Ability to return the vehicle during specified period of time if not fully satisfied[/align]

No[/align]

Transferable Warranty
The warranty can be transferred from the original owner of the vehicle to the second owner if the vehicle is sold privately[/align]

No[/align]

Certification Standards
In order to meet the rigorous standards of the CPO program, specially-trained Lexus technicians put each vehicle through an exhaustive series of examinations, assuring reliability, quality and customer confidence.

Inspection
Every detail is inspected by Lexus-trained technicians, right down to first aid kits and spare tires. A small squeak or faint odor is enough to disqualify a vehicle.

- Technicians perform a mechanical inspection and computer diagnosis of the engine
- The exterior is checked for dings, dents and scratches
- The upholstery, audio systems, power windows and locks are part of the interior inspection
- The safety and security of airbags, seatbelts, brake pads and rotors, plus tire tread depth is assessed
- The undercarriage is checked, including wheel alignment, chassis, frame rails and subframe
- The upholstery in the luggage compartment is evaluated, along with the spare tire and first aid kit
- A road test is performed to check for engine noises, handling issues, interior squeaks, rattles and vibrations

Old 12-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Default RE: Help in decision buying a 04 LS430

Here is my input. Buy a clean car with higher mileage for much less money and buy an after market warranty.

Recently, I did just that. A 2001 LS430 with navigation and 65K miles for $24,000. I paid another $2500 for a 4 year, 60K additional miles full coverage extended warranty. Covers the same items as the Lexus CPU but I don't have to go to a Lexus dealer and still get a rental car. I recently took the car to my local Lexus dealer and was treated like it was a CPU vehicle; they gave me a new RX350 as a free loaner.