unrelated components not working despite good fuses

Old 12-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Unhappy unrelated components not working despite good fuses

Started with a moonroof problem in my 2004 es330. It jammed open slightly, so got at the motor, whose switch was making a clicking noise. I decided to remove the motor and clean the copper magneto and clean off what was clearly carbon buildup. I wanted to jump two of its pins on the plug-in wire to see if it activated the moonroof before reattaching the motor back in the roof. Bad mistake because I saw a slight spark and figured I must have blown a fuse. I checked for the moon roof fuse of 30 amps and could not see a break. I still replaced it with a new one to make sure. I tested that new fuse in another location to verify it works. I put the new fuse in its place that operates the moon roof but no longer heard a clicking sound when activating the moon roof switch. I put everything back together and carefully examined all the fuses in the interior and exterior under the hood- still nothing! I then discovered not only the moon roof was out but the cruise control does not function, even though its indicator lights up in the dash. Also, the memory seat position no longer works but the manual adjustments still do. the back up camera in my navigation/radio set says its receiving no signal and thus does not activate in reverse. The rear right passenger window does not work but all the others do. (That could be related to the child door lock safety switch which we have activated, not sure) The window does make a clicking sound however. When switching gears from drive to reverse, you absolutely have to be totally stopped or else you notice a slight jerking - whereas it always smoothly went into reverse gear even if barely inching forward. My hunch is it is sounding more like a relay fuse perhaps but have no clue to focus on any one type- Or a fusable link in the plug in connector to the moonroof, but could not seem to verify that from any wiring diagram. I inspected the printed circuitry board atop the moonroof motor but could see no evidence of any burnt or shorted out conponents. I carefully made sure all the work I did was put back as before and grounded well. I checked the battery before and after motor started to verify the battery is fully charged and the alternator is charging it fully at the correct volts. That seems to check out. Thus I am out of ideas. If anyone may have more of a clue as to the most likely scenario going on here would be very much interested in their thoughts. Otherwise Im planning to call a Lexus mechanic and bite the bullet --Thanks!